"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore" -School of Rock
I am not a masochist. Really. It started like this...
Two days ago my husband told me he had decided to do a 30-day Cold Shower Challenge. I asked him why and he said some vague things about psychological & health benefits like increased circulation and stuff. So yesterday I took a 5 minute cold shower.
To clarify, I do not mean luke-warm, or even pretty chilly. I'm talking about all the way to the C in the shower using what's probably runoff water from the Rockies in late November cold. 5 minutes never felt so long.
To be completely honest, I did not wash my hair yesterday. But I did today. I forgot to condition my hair, so I had to get back in. I don't think I got all the conditioner out, but a bun hides that pretty well and I wasn't about to get in AGAIN. I'll get it out tomorrow.
When I told my husband I had decided to join him in his challenge he was SHOCKED. I am usually cold when everyone else in comfortable. I often wear a jacket around the house, and can't go to a restaurant or movie theater without one. I HATE being cold. I hadn't even read the tabs he'd left open on the computer about the benefits of cold showering- what was I thinking?!
I honestly don't know. I've been trying to take better care of my mind & body, and I guess his vague reference to psychological & health benefits was enough for me. I've since read the articles my husband found and will list some of the benefits of Shivery Showers for you, should you choose to consider diving into this Arctic Challenge. You've got more grit than you think you do. Just do it.
*Clarity of Mind
*Fearlessness
*Improved Immunity
*Increased Metabolism & Fat Burning
*Increased Concentration of Plasma, T Helper Cells & Lymphocytes
*Improved Circulation
*Better Temperature Regulation
*Relief from Symptoms of Depression
*Closed Pores=Smoother, Healthier, Moisture-Rich Skin & Hair
*Increased Testosterone
*Increased Fertility
*Increased Energy
*Better Lymphatic Movement (takes the trash out of your cells)
*Decreased Inflammation
*Deeper Breathing
*Better, Deeper Sleep
*Higher Tolerance to Stress
*Reduce Chronic Pain & Aches
*Improve Kidney Function
*Ability to Adapt to Stressors & Become Stronger
*Probably a Bunch More Things

heh, I think I'll pass on this one. Considering that we have hardly any insulation at all in our house, and I don't ever warm up all the way these days, except in the shower, a cold shower just wouldn't work. LoL.
ReplyDeleteThe cool thing ;) about cold showers is that EVERYTHING is warm in relation. So poor insulation is no excuse... especially since one of the long-term benefits of cold showers is better temperature regulation.. Just sayin'. Also I love you, even if you're not as crazy as me!
DeleteBRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! You go girl! I do love the colder climate and increased enegry I have when it is cooler. I might work up to this challenge. I just might. The 30 second one, at least to start! Ay yi yi!
ReplyDeleteYou totally should. Probably even limited exposure offers benefit! It really does get easier too- day 4 is the best so far!
Delete